The answer to these frequently asked questions
will provide you with some guidance.

We offer our clients a highly personalised service and understand the difficulties that you are facing. We never charge for your first consultation and are always happy to try and answer any question for you over the phone.

QMy husband and I have just separated. What is the best way for us to arrange to spend time with our children?

Separation is a time of emotional distress and confusion for your family, especially your children. The best way to agree on the time you spend with your children is through mediation. This allows you to openly discuss, with the help of an expert mediator, the best outcome for your children without confrontation and additional family turmoil.

A Parenting Plan is an informal way to make an arrangement but it is not binding. A more formal arrangement that must be followed is to draft and file Consent Orders that the Family Court will then approve.

Greg Tyler & Associates can guide you through this difficult time and advise the best method to make sure your children continue to spend time with both parents.

We can help you through mediation or draft and file any Orders that might be required.

QMy wife and I have been separated for some time now, we still get on pretty well but need to finalise our divorce and financial affairs. What do we need to do?

Once divorced you only have 12 months to finalise your financial affairs so it is sensible to make these arrangements as soon as possible. We recommend that you apply for Consent Orders in the Family Court to formalise your financial arrangement. Even if you and your wife agree on terms she still must seek independent legal advice. Greg Tyler & Associates can help you with all aspects in preparing and filing these Orders and make sure that you are receiving a fair share of the marital property.

QWhat do I do if I’ve been left out of my Parents or any other Will? It’s a difficult time for the family anyway and I don’t want to destroy our relationship. My brothers and sisters were all left something but not me. What should I do?

It’s important that a situation like this be treated with sensitivity and understanding. You do have entitlements that you are able to explore in your father’s Will but you must lodge your claim within 12 months in the Supreme Court. Mediation is mandated by the Court and it is often a good way to resolve matters without resorting to a hearing and seriously damaging your family relationships. Greg Tyler & Associates has wide experience in these matters and can prepare and guide you through the mediation process or if needed, can conduct a claim on your behalf in the Supreme Court.

QMy partner and I have found a first home that we would like to buy. The the Real Estate Agent is pushing us to sign a contract that waives our right to a cooling-off period and we don’t feel comfortable doing this. What should we do?

Greg Tyler & Associates will always do their best to see you when you’re faced with a problem that needs to be solved quickly. Buying your first home can be a daunting and confusing time, trying to organise finance, finding a property and then trying to secure it without being liable for penalties if things don’t work out. It seems like everyone is in your ear at once! The main thing is – don’t rush! Greg Tyler & Associates are experienced property conveyancers and will make sure that there are no hidden surprises waiting for you in your contract.

Then once the deal is done you can contact us at any time to find out how your purchase is progressing.

And if you want to sell your house Greg Tyler & Associates will provide you with the same personal service, keeping you informed during every step of the conveyancing process.

QWhat is the difference between a power of attorney and enduring guardianship?

A power of attorney allows you to appoint someone to represent you in your financial affairs and an enduring guardianship appoints a person to care for your physical or mental needs if you become incapacitated in some way.